Why become a member? ×

Newbie intro time

HarryPotter

Hi all,

I have just started playing bass semi voluntarily (friends need a bassplayer and I inherited and old Tanglewood rebel that needed repair) but am finding I am really enjoying it.

I have been playing guitar for the last 17 years (but have been on sabbatical for the last 6) so I guess I am starting afresh (yes I really have forgotten 80% of what I knew, which wasn't much).

Latterly I am the sound tech for my brothers band (Noise & Confusion) so I spend much of my time fixing equipment (The Who didn't break so much kit when they trashed the gaff), setting up live sounds and running a lighting rig.

Just ordered a Crate BT50 from soundcontrol (£90 all in which seems cheap enough to me) to get me going and I'll see where it takes me.

Work wise I am a design engineer in the automotive industry (Aston Martin, Bentley and Land Rover) - which sometimes can be as cool as it sounds :)

Cheers me dears.

H.

Edited by HarryPotter

[quote name='HarryPotter' post='50962' date='Aug 26 2007, 05:02 PM']I have just started playing bass semi voluntarily (friends need a bassplayer and I inherited and old Tanglewood rebel that needed repair) but am finding I am really enjoying it.[/quote]
Haha, it's a familiar tale... Welcome to the low end, it's less hassle than guitar and more enjoyable!

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='51011' date='Aug 26 2007, 07:22 PM']Haha, it's a familiar tale... Welcome to the low end, it's less hassle than guitar and more enjoyable![/quote]

I expect that's how it happens for quite a few guys (and gals).

I did put up a fight (took me 6 months before I got around to repairing it) but now I am happy as I was always more of a riff monster than a chord player on the guitar and this suits me just fine.

Struggling with the reach though between the frets but I'll se how I go before I decide I need a short scale bass (which seems to be the knee jerk reaction from everybody).