Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision bista - late 70s S9 neck, MIM body - *WITHDRAWN*
£1000
Southampton

Mylkinut

I'll preface this by saying I'm not sure if I want to sell this, keep it or mod it, but if there isn't any interest that'll make the decision for me.

xjAvW22.jpeg

nu9laFy.jpeg

This is a bitsa I put together earlier this year - I've owned the neck since 2019 and slowly built up the rest of the parts. It's dead on 9lbs and has a lovely deep sound.

The neck

The neck's a late 70s Fender P S9 neck with a nice dark piece of rosewood and a B width nut. It's very shallow compared to both my '77's neck and the '71 I used to own. Super easy to play with a lovely worn-in feel. The headstock has aged nicely with lots of checking to the nitro.

There's a decent amount of play wear on the treble side which has given it very rolled edges. The truss rod works as it should and the neck's straight. There's a high fret at the 12th, but even with it I manage to get an action I'd expect most would be happy with - around 2mm at the 12th fret.

The tuners and string tree are all original to the neck, as is the neck plate.

1J8yV1H.jpeg

K8ytobY.jpeg

50YxcPg.jpeg

6zEjrmu.jpeg

dUjFXyq.jpeg

The body

The body's an early 2000s Fender MIM in Agave Blue (essentially Ice Blue Metallic with a different name). I bought it specifically for this build intending to add a second P pickup at the bridge, but I never got round to it.

It has some wear which helps it match the neck - the most obvious is a pretty decent scratch on the front, but there are some dings on the edges as well.

ATXqZLw.jpeg

VfnADdR.jpeg

excKBfb.jpeg

E27sa8Q.jpeg

Other bits

I've tried to match the age of the neck and body with the other parts I've used - here's a list:

Pickups: Unknown but definitely old and with grey bobbins - I'd say 70s Fender if they had date stamps, but without them they're very hard to ID. I've added cream pickup covers for some 80s cool points though.

Pots: CTS

Scratchplate: Kaish in cream

Bridge: BBOT with one mismatched saddle - I planned to replace this with a Schaller 3D, but again never got round to it

Strap buttons: Fender road worn

Knobs: Fender chrome flat tops

Strings: Fender 7250ML

Why I'm thinking about selling 

I've already got a '77 P that I'll never sell, and while I think I prefer the neck on this I don't really need both. That said, it looks cool, sounds good and plays well so I'm not convinced I want to get rid.

If I were to let it go I'd ideally be looking for a straight sale, but I could be tempted by trades for a Fender Elite P (maybe the 2016 version in the right colour, but definitely the 80s PP), or a Yamaha BB. I've got my Jazz, Stingray and PJ needs largely sorted but you never know, I like Fender-shaped things.

I'm based in Southampton, and I'd be keen for any potential buyers to try it out so they know what they're getting.

Cheers!

Edited by Mylkinut
  • Like 4

• Mylkinut changed the title to WITHDRAWN Fender Precision bista - late 70s S9 neck, MIM body