Why become a member? ×

Advice wanted- Ernie Ball/ Musicman truss rod wheel turns freely?

mot

Hi everyone-
I have a truss wheel problem with my Ernie Ball/musicman stingray (USA, 2000, 3 band).

To cut to the chase- it fell out. 

- The long version.

The stingray truss rod nut won't loosen, so I can't get more relief in the neck.

It turns to the left freely. When I turn it right however, it will tighten the rod and there is an appropriate feeling of pressure.

So being a curious cat, I took the neck off very carefully to have a closer look.

With the neck off I turned the wheel to the left in my fingers and it was obviously loose. It turned as easy as an easy toothpaste cap might-
Then it just came clean off. No snap, no  pressure or resistance. It just screwed out.

The end of the rod is covered in a big blob of what could be old grease  (or possibly glue that has turned to mush?)
The wheel doesn't appear to have any damage and will screw back in again. It goes back into place quite snuggly.

But I can't get more relief in the neck.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? I just want a touch more relief so I can dig in without the strings choking out/buzzing.

- I've had it from new 20 years ago, in Taiwan. Taking it back to the shop isn't an option any more. I now live in Spain.

The bass has always lived in hot/humid conditions.

The neck appears to be dead straight (so no back bow).

Ummm...

..any ideas on how to fix this? 

Thanks, Tom. 

IMG_20230921_161653.jpg

IMG_20230921_161729.jpg

Edited by mot
Typoooo

• mot changed the title to Advice wanted- Ernie Ball/ Musicman truss rod wheel turns freely?