Why become a member? ×

NPR (New Pedal Review)

joel406

I was once anti-pedal. 

Oh how times have changed.

Band went amp-less about a year ago. And I just dove straight into the QuadCortex. A fantastic piece of kit. More options than you could ever use. But live application with bass is way over kill. Especially if you're not constantly changing scenes. The amp sim and IRs are cool, and it does sound amazing. 

That being said. I wanted simpler.

I already had a stable of pre-amp DI pedals. So, I figured let's run a few. 

When I use an amp, nothing compares to my Mesa Subway system. After running through the entire "current" line I found my sound in the D-800+. The TT-800 and WD-800 are fine amps, just not my sound. The 212 and 410 cabs (Subways all) are second to none for power handling and tone. Love them so much I got 2 of each. I also found a very "Special" Epifani UL901 (custom tone stack) that is incredible. 

But I digress.

This is supposed to be about a pedal.

I got the Subway and Subway+ pedals because their pre-amp is based on the D-800+. And they sound great. But using them with an amp is just redundant. So I put them away. The Mesa's, Sadowsky and Le bass (which I only got to try out once) were put away. 

Now since I wanted something simpler than the QuadCortex I started bringing them back out. The Mesa pedals rock. Just not very clear. The Sadowsky wasn't very clear either. I wanted more punch and distinction. Then I remembered... I have a Le Bass. 

There it was. Clean, with bite. Combined with a Keely Compressor pro, I was there. 

But wait, there's more.

Finding how good the Le bass was (and kicking myself for not figuring it out sooner) I began the ritual information grab. I wanted to know more about it. Several moments into my research I found out the Le Bass was discontinued. 

Such a great sounding pedal. Off the market.

So I went to the Two notes website. 

Le Bass was replaced with Revolt.

Hmmmm...

I spent the rest of the day and most of the night researching this revolt. Which led to the discovery of the Cab M.

Which led to a large order to Sweetwater.

The revolt has had 2 gigs. So far. It will have 3 this week. 

All I can say is... HOLY *&%$!

Channel one. AKA clean. Based on the SVT. A little muffled. But easily brightened. 

Channel two. AKA Vintage Dirt. Based on the Marshal bass amp. There it is. Smooth, bright and distinct sound everywhere with every bass. 

Channel three. AKA Overdrive. Two notes own creation of grit. Crazy good and I can see the application. Not what I need at the moment but it's good to have. And with a little tweaking a nice boost when needed.

This is a longer post than intended. But I felt a little history of my pedal journey would help with perspective. 

Needless to say. I will keep all my pedals. The Mesa Subway pedals are a favorite of mine. The Sadowsky is ok. Nice backup pedal. The Quadcortex is without a doubt king. 

But this Two notes Revolt pedal is special. 

I recommend it.

• Like 1