Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spector REX 2000/5

Dan_Nailed

So with a heavy heart I am placing up for sale my Rex. I now own three basses and this just sits under my bed in it's case not being played, which is a shame as it plays like butter but it'll probably never see the light of day live or in the studio for me as I've got two world-class Spectors in active duty. I recorded our first album with this and it has seen some airmiles to both Ireland and Europe.

It is a neck through, all-maple bass with figured maple top and rosewood board. I got it in late 2004 and it is in good condition, but it has been played. There are a couple of nicks, one on the headstock and one on the back of the bass, pictured:

The things that make this bass special are the mods I've done, namely, I've replaced the stock EMG HZ pickups with active EMG's, namely the 40P5 in the neck and the 40DC in the bridge. The 40P5 is a 5 string P pickup in a humbucker housing. This gives the bass a frankly thunderous sound, but is extremely versatile at the same time, which by looking at the body shape you wouldn't immediately imagine. I also modded the bass to run 18V with two batteries for extra headroom.

On the fretboard is the short-lived Fretware setup, basically abalone laminate blocks that I placed over the dot markers. Here's a photo:

You can remove these if you like, they're not gonna damage the fretboard.

A possible downside/upside depending on your preference is I have removed the preamp and wired the bass straight to the two volumes, and filled the spare holes with rubber gromets. A preamp could be easily dropped in at any point as there is loads of cavity space. I also changed out all the hardware for black, by that I don't mean the bridge and tuners but the pickup screws, knobs and input jack, everything is black and it looks sharp. I also invested in an official Spector hardcase for the bass which is fitted to the Thunderbird style body:

The case is a bit battered as it has seen some flights etc, but it's done it's job protecting the bass. I'll clean the big old Nailed logo off there for you before passing it on!

The bass plays like a dream, the action is stupidly low and the tone is to die for. I've just put some brand new D'Addario Prosteels on there and cleaned the bass, and it has some brand new black Schaller straplocks installed

I paid £600 for this, then invested another £300 in it for the pickups and hardcase, and then odds and ends like the straplocks and overpriced black screws and input jack. I'd like to make [b]£450[/b] back on it but am open to offers. Shipping will be about £20 via Parcel Force.

Cheers,

Dan
[email protected]

Edited by Dan_Nailed