Why become a member? ×

Cranborne Camden EC1

Ramirez

Hello there,

This doesn't really fit in the 'Effects' category, but neither does it fit in the 'Amps & Cabs' section, but there we go...!

This seems to be flying under the radar a bit for bass players etc seeing as it's being marketed more as a studio mic preamp, but it ticks so many boxes that it could well be the perfect solution for a lot of people, especially if you're using IEMs.

www.cranborne-audio.com/camdenec1

https://www.andertons.co.uk/cranborne-audio-camden-ec1-preamp-signal-processor-headphone-amplifier

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/cranborne-audio-camden-ec1

The Cranborne Camden is an exceptional microphone preamp, originally available as a 500-series module (I have four in the studio, they really are wonderful!). It was then made available as the 2-channel rackmount EC2, and more recently as the single channel EC1.

I'm expecting delivery of an EC1 this afternoon, because having looked at it, it seems like a great small bass rig.

The Camden is in essence a very clean preamp with a DI input, but with variable 'Mojo' circuitry with two different flavours, so it can be a very colourful/characterful DI for bass (the Mojo circuitry really works nicely with bass guitars, and I prefer it to most amps). They've also incorporated a link-through socket like a typical DI box, and there is a very well-specified headphone amp built in for your IEMs, into with which you can feed your bass signal as well as a monitor mix from the desk (mono or stereo) or whatever else you see fit. There are other features that may not be of so much use for a gigging bassist (the CAST connectivity etc).

Being a microphone preamp, it should also work very well for double bassists gigging with a DPA microphone or similar. Bear in mind though that it a single-channel unit, so no blend options between pickup/mic etc (the bigger EC2 might be more suited for that)

I'm obviously a fan, already being the owner of four of the same preamps in a 500 rack, but the Mojo circuitry can really do something special to a bass - it's probably one of the best sounding and best-specified DI box you can find at any cost. And if you do some recording as well, then you have a world-class mic pre at your disposal too!

Edited by Ramirez

Yes the ADAT 500 rack (not Eurorack!) is very neat, and almost ticks all the boxes for me. It does have a few drawbacks that has kept me from buying one though (namely, you can’t access the AD and DA stages independently like a ‘normal’ ADAT expander - both stages are tied to the 500 slot by design, and, most surprisingly, ADAT is not available as a source for the headphone amps, which is the killer blow for me)

Cranborne are really making awesome stuff though. I am surprised the EC1 hasn’t made more impact in bass DI/IEM land as it’s an almost perfect, very elegant solution, especially for double bassists using a mic.

Having received the unit though, it is a bit ‘posh’ for laying down on a stage floor!