Why become a member? ×

American "Old Time" Music Scene?

Jeff Elkins

My partner and I are moving next week to London for a year. She plays old time fiddle (in addition to some classical, Irish, Scottish, and Americana) and we will be looking for some jams to visit. She's an early-intermediate player, but we like everything from beginner slow-jams to more advanced picking. Not so much bluegrass, but more trad American fiddle tune style jams.

I'm not bringing my upright, but I may borrow or rent one occasionally; we're going to shop for a guitar (we both play) until/unless I sort something out.

We're looking at the Cecil Sharp House, but where are casual old time jams happening? We've got feelers out with some contacts, and it looks like there may be some groups that get together in North London (Finchley area), but that's all we've identified so far. Would love to know if you know of any open jams in this genre anywhere in greater London!

I already follow some groups and read the gig reports here, so for live music viewing/listening we have a lot of options lined up. But we're specifically looking for gatherings where we can join in.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!