Why become a member? ×

New Pedal - Deeply Unpleasant Companion Fuzz

Stingray64

I do a lot of synth bass on a bass type stuff, both in function songs and EDM type gigs. I use the mxr bass octave deluxe as my synth starting point and then either drives, fuzzes and synth effects in the hx stomp or a bass big muff to go into the IE xerograph filter.

Anyway, I wanted a fuzz that would be more consistent than the EHX and also fuzz up a different frequency range from what the stomp does. Despite a lack of threads online about FY-2 fuzzes I decided to go with the Fredric effects deeply unpleasant companion. 

It's awesome! Super nasty sound that works great on normal bass guitar when the tone is rolled down and the clean is blended in.

It has a super nice sweep with a low pass filter (no bass synth sounds good with a band pass filter to me 😆).

Something that really surprised me was how well it combines with other drives, it sounds sick after subtle drives (although i prefer to keep the volume lower feeding into the DUC) and it also sounds actually good when placed after a heavy drive which I wouldn't say about any other drive or fuzz I've tried.

Downsides I found is that for me it kinda needs a very heavy noise gate after it, and it needs careful attention paid to EQ to keep it working in a mix, not a good fuzz for whacking on an effect.

Here is my little demo I did for my Instagram 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CdeREY1gbT8/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

The point of this, my first post, was just to provide a viewpoint for anyone considering a companion fuzz, and if you're into synth stuff, give this unique fuzz and fredric effects a consideration!

I'm a huge nerd for both effects and synths so if you have any questions at all please do fire away!

Edited by Stingray64
  • Like 3