Why become a member? ×

All my (6) basses demoed

andruca

Over the last, say, 5 years I've been gigging less and less (used to make a -frugal- living out of music some 15 years ago). So I've progressively switched my attention to my bass stable (that at one point would consist of a dozen basses) and how to have a "reduced" one. So I've spent these last 5-6 years selling and trading some stuff (hadn't moved away from my Stingrays and Fernandes Gravitys for the previous decade), been thru' Maruszczyk, more EBMMs, Yamahas, Ibanezes, Schecter, Warwick, even some (cheap) DIY adventures.

I was aiming at 5 basses, ended up being 6 because I changed my mind about a real chamaeleonic bass I was about to let go (Schecter CV-5), I've got a rented place where me and my musical partner for over a decade now have built our own studio, so thought it might be useful to keep (and really wouldn't sell for that much money). I'm pretty stupid, but not too stoooooopid to say I'm rehabilitated from GAS in any way (I'm just eyeing an Epi EB-0, need to take care of the short scale dept). But still, for the first time in 30+ years, I have a diverse enough bunch (at least for my needs, still lying as I really DON'T NEED 6 axes, few people do really). Must say I'm not "avant garde" at all, I'm in fact sorta' "rustic" when it comes to "modern" bass tones. I love me a good bass tone, no matter the bass, but I find many attempts real generic sounding, thus not interested. If it doesn't sound in the ballpark of traditional/"established" timbres (most of my bass playing has been on Musicmen, so that, P, J, RIC, EB-0, etc.) or has a marked personality of its own in some way (i.e. WAL) I just end up not getting it, paradoxically "getting old" easily on me. My fault, definitely.

So, I wanted to make a video of each of them and finally did so over the last couple weeks. Tried to be as creative and diverse as I could about covered songs (there were no previous bass covers for 4 of these, so 66% achieved). One of them is from a band I sometimes do sub gigs with and another one is from my band (Bitter Mambo, and yes, I'm the one singing there, my condolences). Here's the playlist with:

1. 1997 Stingray5 with Magma Ultra Flat flatwound strings
  2. 2011 Warwick (Korean) ProSeries Star Bass 5, strung with Warwick Red Label NICKEL roundwounds
  3. My rat rod DIY J (parts from a "donor" bass -38€ used, neck&body unusable- and the cheapest body& neck y could get from AliExpress -add 51€-), also on Warwick Red Label NICKEL roundwounds
  4. Schecter CV-5 (poor man's Roscoe Beck V -and not just for metal-), same Warwick Red Label NICKEL roundwounds
  5. My DIY P/J fretless 5er (originally a Harley Benton P style kit, highly modified), strung with LaBella LTF flats
  6. 2003 Stingray5, and yes strung with Warwick Red Label NICKEL roundwounds (best bang for the buck nickel strings around)

Edited by andruca
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1