Why become a member? ×

US Fender Prec BadassII & Bass line PUPS FS/FT???

People Of The Bass Chat Community ...I NEED YOUR HELP!!!

Okay, enough of the dramatics...to business!

I have a US Black Precision with Maple neck, i think its a 73 ish..( S19****) that i bought from Mr Cougar..Jim...some months back fitted with a Badass II and Bass LinesPUPs, now first and foremost, i bought this knowing EXACTLY the condition the bass was in , and if i can find the link to the original thread I will post it up, But basically the neck has a somewhat "unique" issue....there is a forward bend in the headstock...not the neck, just the headstock. this has resulted in the fitting of a secondary string tree ( I believe this was done by John Shuker) on the A&D under the original string tree, however the action is without doubt on the high side...in fact now pretty darn unplayable...so the question(s) to you all is as follows -

1) Does anyone have any idea if this can be treated?
2) if I fit a new neck, doesn't this materially affect the value/provenance of the bass? although I guess i could retain the orginal to show the serial #
3) does anyone have a replacement ( must be maple) neck ?
4) would anyone be interested in a trade or sale on the bass as it stands?

If there is interest then I will post photos....I really dont know what to do on this, it has THE most immense tone and bottom end ...but the action has become an issue for me....

Help me BC'rs you are my only help!!!

Cheers

Matt

Tricky.... You need to decide whether the '73 Fender bit is important, or you just want to fix a faulty bass.

The provenance thing is a bit of a non-issue on a bass with two trees, a Badass and Seymour Duncans...
If you want a 'genuine' '73 either get the neck repaired/refinished (probably at considerable cost) or purchase another '73 neck (also considerably expensive), then source a '73 pickup and bridge.

Or sell it (might be problematic given the above issues) plus bowed neck (I take it this can't be resolved with the trussrod)...

If you just like the thing and want to play it, then either get another P neck - Japanese come up fairly regularly and you get a logo - Mighty Mite are very substantial and feel authentic.

Good luck!

[quote name='Stewart' post='441579' date='Mar 22 2009, 10:59 AM']Tricky.... You need to decide whether the '73 Fender bit is important, or you just want to fix a faulty bass.

The provenance thing is a bit of a non-issue on a bass with two trees, a Badass and Seymour Duncans...
If you want a 'genuine' '73 either get the neck repaired/refinished (probably at considerable cost) or purchase another '73 neck (also considerably expensive), then source a '73 pickup and bridge.

Or sell it (might be problematic given the above issues) plus bowed neck (I take it this can't be resolved with the trussrod)...

If you just like the thing and want to play it, then either get another P neck - Japanese come up fairly regularly and you get a logo - Mighty Mite are very substantial and feel authentic.

Good luck![/quote]

Good points!!!

The age thing isn't an issue - I just love the sound of it, so I think the replacement neck is the way forward, your quite right, not much point shelling out for a date correct neck with, given the mods its got now....I do like the look of the mighty mite necks but will keep an eye open to see if anything comes up.

Cheers Stewart,

Regards

Matt

Edited by the hand of john curley