CalDeep

Online Lesson - Bass, Recording/Production, Better Bass for Social Media, Tone and Pedal integration.

T H E   S  P I E L. 
If you would like to learn about improving your technique and tone, playing and writing grooves, theory, time feel, locking with drummers, recording/production, learning songs quickly, finding your sound, making great clips for Facebook and Instagram, or about how to use shiny expensive boxes to make things that go wub wub BLARRGH. I would love to help you.

A B O U T   M E 
I am a bass player, live show MD, producer and songwriter. My working credits include Rita Ora, JP Cooper, Heather Small, Alfie Boe, B*witched, Jess And The Bandits, and my own electronic band Sleeping Dragon (Hand picked to support Mike League's Forq.) I am also a content creator and have created videos for Alpher Instruments, Gamechanger Audio and Newtone Strings among others. I am based in Liverpool, love dark beer and slow roasting anything, and I am a complete gear head, especially with old fenders and crazy pedals. 

If anything on here has interested you, please drop me a message, I'd love to chat about how I can help you. 

Stay safe dudes! 

41861709_326227401275537_3095603043006152704_o.thumb.jpg.d798a39c9b01144dc45d0b21a6f8cfd2.jpg70556147_10156906240854436_6323690249247522816_n.jpg.741228322b2153713dfbd95526b32031.jpgIMG_5780.thumb.jpg.7fea882fe1b9f37ae2f748d1f895cd88.jpg190722_InvictusTrials19_0121.thumb.jpg.e653dd163a9962579d2b492f11b4fd00.jpgThumbnail.Still001.thumb.jpg.0fcbeb1f2bb7d9f2ef7e72870a25e072.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By iamtheelvy
      A six-switch bypass loop from Brighton-based Bright Onion Pedals. Ordered for a projected but never used in the end. All LEDs are blue when on. All works perfectly.
      NOTE: The input and output connectors for the loops are the far right jack sockets, not at each end as normal. All loops then follow send/return in sequence. This was a particular setup I want, but may not suit everyone.
      £60 delivered.

• By MoonBassAlpha
      Just thought I'd share this issue, and the solution.
      A recently acquired Mexican Mustang bass (was new this year) had a subtle issue I found. The volume and tone worked normally at first glance, but actually, when the tone control was fairly far down, the volume control no longer worked in a linear manner. The volume suddenly drops below about 8 (there are no actual numbers on these!)
      I've found the solution, but would you guys care to have a guess? (maybe you've come across it yourself?) Enjoy!
    • By leftybassman392
      Hi guys. After a long time away from it, I'm looking to get back into recording.
      My previous studio was a purpose-designed and pretty well-equipped project studio. In my current situation that kind of facility isn't feasible logistically and way outside my proposed budget financially. I'm going to keep it simple this time: I'm just planning to use my MacBook Pro with a suitable interface plus a few bits & bobs.
      What I could use is some advice as to what folks recommend I should be looking at.
      I have Audacity installed on the Mac, which looks like it'll be all I'll need for recording, and I have guitars, basses and amps aplenty.
      My shopping list looks like this:
      Basic audio interface with USB thunderbolt compatibility (I don't need a lot of channels or effects so a basic 2- or 4-input jobbie should be plenty).
      Decent but inexpensive studio mic for recording electric guitars through the Fender Blues Junior IV. (Acoustic and bass amps have D.I. outs and I have an L.R. Baggs D.I. box so that side of things is taken care of.) I don't sing so I don't need megabucks. As long as it can record the BJ faithfully (with the option of recording the acoustic guitars once in a while) I'll be happy. I'm told Rode are good value for money, but I've been out of the loop for around 10 years I'm happy to consider other options. If funds allow, it would be nice to have a compressor for recording the acoustics (I used to have a small collection of the Joemeek optical compressors, which were f*cking brilliant) but not a given at this stage as Audacity has one built-in (which I haven't used yet but which I assume will be fairly basic).
      Half decent rhythm generator or drum machine. I used to have an SR16 and a DR770, so anything in that general ballpark should do the job I need.

This is all for my own enjoyment; I have no plans to inflict anything I do on anybody else. That said, at one time I was accustomed to working with high quality gear so I do have certain expectations...
      I have a soft budget in my head of around £500. I'm expecting to need to buy new where necessary but will also be keeping an eye on pre-owned as long as it's in good working order.

Any advice as to what I should be looking at, particularly the I/F and the mic, will be gratefully received.
      I humbly submit myself to the collective wisdom of the Basschat Collective.

• By WalMan
      I am in the process of re-recording my bands title song from 40 years ago. I have recorded a guide and then the drummer has sent me midi from his electronic kit, vocalist has sent vocals and I'm waiting on final guitar tracks. 
      The song has a silly fairy story in the middle, and I my son recorded my granddaughter reading it which I have then cut to fit.
      Just got the vocal tracks and a rough mix, and he's done it again. 🙄 ...and I know the drummer is going to be pee'd of with the changes.
      A few years back one of our fans from back in the day asked if he could play a track of ours at his wedding. We decided to e-record it for him as a surprise. Backing tracks were done here and sent to vocalist in New Zealand, but when we got it back he'd completely changed the way he sang it, so it was a nice gift, but not quite what said fan really wanted ☹️
      Now to be fair vocalist was the songwriter / lyricist and used to bring ideas to rehearsal, but he didn't play an instrument so songs were written from jams at rehearsal and developed from his 'it goes something like this' dum di dums. Not that it has ever been an issue, but I know if there had been any money made from a song we'd probably have ended up with difficult discussion re ownership. 
      Whilst we might like a fairly faithful rendition of the original version, he has revamped the vocal lines - not as much as with the other song - but I suspect there will be mutterings from the ranks 🙄
      Not sure myself. Played a rough mix to wifey this morning and she loves it, so what do I know 🤣
    • By iamtheelvy
      A simple AB loop box from Brighton-based Bright Onion Pedals. One bypass switch and one to flip-flop between the two bypass loops. Works perfectly.
      £28 delivered.