Why become a member? ×

EMG & John East UNI-PRE Help Required

skb558

I recently purchased an East UNI-PRE 5K pre-amp to put in a bass with EMG pickups. I'm familiar with John's pre-amps as I have one in my ACG so why not, I thought?

What I hadn't realised was that the bridge pickup in the bass is a TW and is switchable between single-coil and humbucker. The pickup wire has 6 strands as per attached schematic and can be activated with a push-pull on a tone-pot or via a toggle switch. I don't believe the pickup was set up correctly so was wondering if I could go for either single-coil or humbucker operation one or the other i.e. no switching (otherwise I would need to add a toggle switch and I don't have the room in the rear-cavity). Also attached are the pickup inputs for the UNI-PRE.

My question is does 6 (or fewer) go into 2; if so which ones or do I swap out the TW for another J-type single coil? By the way, I know next to nothing about this and was expecting a simple swapping exercise with some copper shielding and the minimum of soldering. Any help greatly appreciated.

image.png.6a9818575a83b879e74892f30f8fb934.pngimage.png.d3e46f24e137eb4d65d547b3a212f909.png