Why become a member? ×

IBANEZ SRFF805 PUPS & PRE AMP

WAYNESWORLD

A while back I asked for views and suggestions in relation to swapping my BH1 pups and pre amp that came as standard on the Ibanez SRFF 805.Got a fair few reply's but unfortunately due to ill health in the family could not move along with the project and pass any feedback to all of you that commented on the original post.Just to recap the general view on this Ibby is that the standard pups have a low output and are quite dark /muffled the pre amp does not have a great deal going for it either. My experience with factory installed electrics was pretty similar.That said I love the bass the neck is great its not heavy and aesthetically I find it very pleasing to the eye.With this in mind I decided to go for the proper Bartolini replacements and a Bartolini pre amp.(Bart Singularity pair & HR 5.3 918 pre)This decision was also based on recommendation from a fellow basschater. I apologise for the long winded tale but here is the point.After purchasing the pups and prea amp a fault was found on the pre amp.A few attempts to correct it but no joy. A replacement was sent in the mean time my tech re-installed the original ibby pre amp.When linked to the new pups the pre amp came alive giving a range over the mid frequency's it failed to do with the BH1s. The Bart replacement pups are Bart Singularity's H65  which I know are different from the originals but the clarity, gain working in conjunction withe the original pre amp is fabulous.The thing that surprised me most was that although the Bart pre amp was faulty it worked in active mode but the passive had a fault so I was able to test  both side by side. IMHO spending the extra £155 to upgrade the pre was not needed when connected to the original pre and good set of pups for me there there was no significant gain to be achieved other than choice of volume/balance tone control knob options and the added gain boost on the Bart pre option.

Hope this is of some use, not all may agree but for me I am now a very happy bunny. Just need to be out playing! this though may prove to be something even Santa is going to struggle with this year.

Cheers