Why become a member? ×

Need decent electric double bass

Hello,

I'd like to ask you for a piece of advice.

How much I need to spend on a decent electric double bass (3/4, I'm an adult). I would like to start busking a bit, so it doesn't have to be a high-quality instrument lol; I'm looking for a low-cost instrument, in fact.

I don't care much of the quality of the sound. I'm more concerned about the technical matters, like a good pitch (no false sounds, straight fingerboard, etc) and producing the sound (good interacting of the bow with the strings).

You are very welcome to recommend brands or specific instruments.

Thank you in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

TBH, you'd be better off with a cheap "real" double bass. I've tried a few, and sometimes use a Yamaha SLB 100.....but it's not cheap, or as good as a £400 Chinese Double bass. I've had a Stagg one, and I don't find it comfortable to play, or sounding as good as a cheap bass guitar. As a busker, I would have thought the aesthetics of a real double bass might bring in a bit more cash too. 

No doubt they're a PITA to transport, but with a bass trolley/buggy type thing....it's not too bad. 

• Like 3