Why become a member? ×

Expected resistance and Chrome plating issue with George L's

Dudgeman

Hi all

First off I hope everyone is well and keeping safe.

I am not looking for a George L vs all other cable debates..god knows there's enough of those on the net. My question is 2 fold really

1. On grabbing my George ls out to complete and overhaul of my (BIg) board I noticed that the chrome plating had come off some of them..no idea where it has gone...lol...check checked in the pedals not there......anyway...Does anyone know if this would have any effect on the connectivity of these jacks? It doesn't show any issues on my multimeter..they are showing continuity and resistance is around 0 -0.3 OHMS

2. Does anyone know what I should see resistance wise if checking the patch leads tip to tip and sleeve to sleeve? I have had issues with a few of the cables and although they are showing continuity one of the cables was running 3 OHMs tip to tip...I swapped this cable out and I managed to test the cable and the centre wire was running 0.3 ohms  which is the reading I was getting if I touch the multimeter leads together...I am not an electrician and wonder if this correct, so I am assuming this is what I should see....but no matter how I put the lead together I can not get it to drop to below 3ohm...Does this make a difference with the sound transfer and should I just be looking for continuity or is this resistance part of the issue with dodgy connection? 

Any help...and just to stop the influx of "buy soldered cables" I am using George L's at the moment because it is what I have and I am constantly changing my board but I am close to finalising my layout and when I do I will probably go to a full soldered system. I am currently running 17 pedals including lehle ABY  boxes and a Free the tone Arc 3 looper so that is a lot of cables to change if I am not happy with my board and so being able to change the positioning around using the George L's  is where I need to be at the moment.

Thanks for any help you guys can offer..