Why become a member? ×

Gibson Series VIIIB Pickups

MananaMan

[quote name='MananaMan' post='413548' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:02 PM']Hey folks,

I've got a Gibson Victory Standard bass, it's a beautiful instrument but I'm thinking of changing the pickup.

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the pickup and any suitable replacements...?[/quote]

I have some info on [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/parts/pickup/#31"]Gibson bass pickups[/url] - including the Gibson Victory series. I just spotted a few omissions on that page (including dimensions) which i've just added.

I can't suggest a replacement, but can tell you the Standard had different pickups to the Artist, but both were designed by Tim Shaw, who was working in Kalamazoo in the early eighties. They are the same size though, so an Artist pickup would fit at least, assuming you want to keep the scratchplate. If not, the world is your oyster. Could you get one custom wound?

Hmmm... interesting idea. Not sure about getting one custom wound... I'd love to, but I'm assuming cost would become a major factor!

I'd thought of ordering a new scratch plate to keep the original parts together (for resale purposes etc.). I'm heading off to the local bass shop this weekend to get it looked over - I think there may not be a pickup problem now but some sort of weird string choking. I'd still like to try a different pup tho, would I be able to fit a new one in the same angled fashion as the Standard? I like to look of the bass as it is, so really I'd like to keep as much of that as possible... Would a "normal" pup work OK at a 45 degree angle?