Why become a member? ×

Moved from Hi-Beams to Prosteels

Dan_Nailed

After being a die hard DR guy for over 5 years I've actually switched to D'Addario. Main reason being is that Hi-Beams are twice the price of Prosteels, and if I get anything more than half the same lifespan out of a set of Prosteels then I'm making a saving (I usually changed DR's twice, a year, they lasted that long). With the exchange rate being what it is DR's are just too much cash.

Comparison wise, the Prosteels remind me very much of Stainless Lo-Riders, probably due to the hex. When I first started with DR I went with SS Lo-Riders, 45-130, then tried Hi-Beams 45-130, then Lo-Riders 45-125. After trying the Hi-Beams I felt they lasted a little longer than the Lo-Riders so stuck exclusively with stainless Hi-Beams, either 45-125 or 45-130 depending on what was in stock at wherever I bought them at the time. I preferred the Lo-Riders tonally and feel wise(slightly, not much in it) but the added life gave the Hi-Beams the edge.

So the difference between Prosteels and DR's? Easy.

1. Similar tension to Lo-Riders.
2. Brighter than Lo-Riders out of the box, about as bright as Hi-Beams.
3. I found Lo-Riders to feel a little rougher in texture than Hi Beams, and these are a tiny bit rougher again(nowhere near Rotosound levels though). However if I wasn't so well versed in DR's I'd struggle to notice a difference between all three, maybe that's my skin or something.
4. Longevity - we'll see. If they last as long as Lo-Riders(about 4 months) I can't see myself going back to DR. ;)

In fact, because of the price (£17.60 on Stringbusters) I could change them maybe every 3 months and have more consistently fresh strings for more of the time...

Edited by Dan_Nailed

I've pretty much done the same thing Dan.
I reckon the D'Addario's are brighter out of the pack but most certainly do not keep the zing of the DR HB
still, as you say, if they last half the distance it's all good.

also, I seldom use a plectrum but the D'Adds on the Jazz Bass is OK after they've settled in a bit.