Why become a member? ×

Really need help!

Gothicontheloose

[quote name='BassBunny' post='405563' date='Feb 10 2009, 06:49 PM']A resounding +1.

If you don't know what you want go for the "used" option. You can keep buying and selling until you know what you want. You will probaly like the neck from Bass A, Body of Bass B, Pick-Ups from Bass C, then you can have the ideal bass built.
If you go custom and can't decide what you want then the chances are you won't like the end result and will lose a load of money if you want to sell it.
It will be a Bass built to your spec and no-one else may like it.
I have just ordered an ACG Re-Curve 5-String from Alan and it took the best part of an afternoon just picking the wood.
If I hadn't owned and sold a load of Basses over the years I would not have had a clue where to start when you start getting questions like.
Bolt on or Through Neck? Asymetric Neck Profile? 34 or 35" Scale? String Through? Which Pick-Ups? etc. etc.[/quote]
Well... I do know what I want ^^ I'm just not great in explaining it... And I can't afford to go buying and selling basses for 2 - 3 years... My parents would KILL me ;) I could try to explain em :P But they most deffinitly wouldn't understand xD ^^

[quote name='Gothicontheloose' post='405613' date='Feb 10 2009, 06:45 PM']Yeah, I've been asking round and I especially hear alot of Vampyre O.O And they look... well ;) unbelievably xD
And Vigiers doesn't make neck-thru anymore... And well... When I pay £2000 or more for a bass I don't want a freagin bolt-on xD :P
-[url="http://www.warwick.de/modules/custom_shop/options.php?TYP=NONE&submenuID=14620&katID=15059&cl=EN"]Warwick Electronics[/url] - Few question tho! Difference between 9V and 18V, what will the difference be in sound? What's the difference between 2- and 3-band? Last one bout this: Is there a big difference between the configurations??
-Have no idea wich pickup to pick either, is there a way to find out wich one is better?
-Any neck type you can suggest?[/quote]

Well if the Vampyre has caught your eye then go for it.

[b]Voltages[/b] - As I understand it higher voltage will mean that the tone controls will have more ability to shape the sound - the extra voltage being needed across a larger circuit.

[b]2/3 band[/b] - 2 band gives controls for the high/low frequencies, 3 band gives control of hi/mid/low. Simple!

[b]Pickups[/b] - Generally on a bass with 2 pickups the neck one will add low end to the overall sound, whilst the bridge pickup will add the higher frequencies. Also, there is also a different quality to the sounds produced at different points along the string, so each pickup also provides its own "sound". I'm sure the pickups on a Vampyre will have been configured with heavy music in mind.

[b]Neck types[/b] - If you mean the wood, I personally love the dense, exotic woods (ovangkol/wenge/bubinga) that Warwick offer. Looks aside, they give quite a dark tone that works for me, so that's why I play them!

[b]Important tip[/b] - If you spend alot of money on a bass please [b]do not[/b] try to repaint it with a bedroom custom job - you'll kill the resale value if you ever want to trade. It may sound like a cool idea at the time, but believe me it won't be and you'll regret it.

No really, you will.

Edited by rjb

[quote name='rjb' post='405669' date='Feb 10 2009, 08:31 PM']Well if the Vampyre has caught your eye then go for it.

[b]Voltages[/b] - As I understand it higher voltage will mean that the tone controls will have more ability to shape the sound - the extra voltage being needed across a larger circuit.

[b]2/3 band[/b] - 2 band gives controls for the high/low frequencies, 3 band gives control of hi/mid/low. Simple!

[b]Pickups[/b] - Generally on a bass with 2 pickups the neck one will add low end to the overall sound, whilst the bridge pickup will add the higher frequencies. Also, there is also a different quality to the sounds produced at different points along the string, so each pickup also provides its own "sound". I'm sure the pickups on a Vampyre will have been configured with heavy music in mind.

[b]Neck types[/b] - If you mean the wood, I personally love the dense, exotic woods (ovangkol/wenge/bubinga) that Warwick offer. Looks aside, they give quite a dark tone that works for me, so that's why I play them![/quote]
Allright ^^ Thanks again for your help :P I'm checking the prices and stuff a bit atm... If I get the whole Custom Pricelist thing right the cheapest Vampyre NT is 4,100€ O.O So I'm checking if I'm not mistaking ;)
I hope I'm not at least :s Would be stupid to... Since their oldor Vampyre models the "Dark Lord" and "SN" cost about half of that but are discontinued... :)

[quote name='Gothicontheloose' post='405616' date='Feb 10 2009, 06:50 PM']Well... I do know what I want ^^ I'm just not great in explaining it... And I can't afford to go buying and selling basses for 2 - 3 years... My parents would KILL me :P I could try to explain em :) But they most deffinitly wouldn't understand xD ^^[/quote]
Hi there, I have to agree with BassBunny and if you buy and sell sensibly, there's no reason why you'd lose money; that's what 90% of folks on here do with basses, amps, pedals...

Hope you find what you're looking for. ;)

[quote name='rjb' post='405669' date='Feb 10 2009, 08:31 PM']Well if the Vampyre has caught your eye then go for it.

[b]Neck types[/b] - If you mean the wood, I personally love the dense, exotic woods (ovangkol/wenge/bubinga) that Warwick offer. Looks aside, they give quite a dark tone that works for me, so that's why I play them!

[b]Important tip[/b] - If you spend alot of money on a bass please [b]do not[/b] try to repaint it with a bedroom custom job - you'll kill the resale value if you ever want to trade. It may sound like a cool idea at the time, but believe me it won't be and you'll regret it.

No really, you will.[/quote]
And that was my first idea.... But Warwick has wicked paint jobs so I'll leave that... And if I'd let someone do it... It'll be a freagin Airbrush proffesional ;) I wouldn't want to f*** it up ^^

[quote name='Gothicontheloose' post='405684' date='Feb 10 2009, 07:43 PM']And that was my first idea.... But Warwick has wicked paint jobs so I'll leave that... And if I'd let someone do it... It'll be a freagin Airbrush proffesional ;) I wouldn't want to f*** it up ^^[/quote]

Take a look at this, Gothic...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41553"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41553[/url]

[quote name='rjb' post='413515' date='Feb 18 2009, 08:36 PM']Take a look at this, Gothic...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41553"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=41553[/url][/quote]
Thx! =)=)

Made up my mind tho... In 4 months or so I'll have enuf... I'm gonna go for a Vampyre NT Custom... Still need to work on some of details but it's pretty much set...
Now I'm starting to look for an amp ;) Was going to buy myself an Ashdown 300W or something... But I think it might be worth spending a little more on it...
Else I'd have an unbelievably good bass with a 'so so' amp wich kinda makes no point O.O ...
So now looking into that... ^^ Doing some research and testing some stuff