Why become a member? ×

INSTRUMENT IDENTIFICATION BAAS GUITAR

Bass Battalion

It's Jerry Jemmott's bass - a custom instrument by Abe Riviera.

Here's an excerpt from an interview regarding the Modern Electric Bass video Jaco did with Jerry: 

The Abe Rivera Bass: "Neither one of these instruments is really my bass," reminded Jaco Pastorius. "I'm using Jerry Jemmott's bass. Both of my main basses have fallen apart, which is a bad time since I'm doing the video. But it's cool, because I'm not really burnin' out. I'm showing more technique and stuff." Holding the beautifully scrolled instrument he added, "This Rivera bass sounds good, doesn't it?" The instrument's designer Jerry Jemmott actually played acoustic bass before he moved on to the electric bass. "When I designed that bass, I wanted a natural sound in the instrument," Jemmott recalled, "yet when I'm playing electric bass I also want that electric sound. So I wanted an instrument that could do both.jacomodbass.jpg I also wanted it to be lightweight and easy to play. It originally had frets on it, but I pulled the frets out. It sounded so good, and so warm with the frets. I felt it would sound even more fantastic without the frets. Jaco loves it! Abe Rivera did all the design, all the beautiful work. That's his forte. It's semi-hollow in design. The wood is maple, ebony, and some type of red wood."