Why become a member? ×

Advice for Grade Exam

KarateKid

[quote name='KarateKid' post='393972' date='Jan 28 2009, 07:30 PM']I know I have not been on this forum for a while because I am tyed dowm on schoolwork, but can anyone help me for a Grade Exam. I am aiming for the starter grade now, but I feel like I want to go for it. Can anyone give me advice for my grade exam?[/quote]
Not sure what kind of advice you're after - but I did ABRSM grades a fair while ago (not bass) and the most useful tips etc. are pretty general. E.g. plenty of sleep the night before, drink water, and stay calm. Realise that failing doesn't matter. Also be nice and friendly to the examiner when you walk in - they want you to pass so keep it that way. They're also used to seeing people nervous so don't feel like you're any different.

An examiner once told me (after the test) that she'd had a solder in a few days earlier. He'd served in various warzones and seen his friends shot down in front of him. Surely that would change your outlook on priorities and pressure.... but when it came to the music test he was a bag of nerves and could only barely hold it together. They are scary... but its just a music test. The only pressure is what you put on yourself.

Edited by Eight