Why become a member? ×

RGT exam ?????'s

KennysFord

Thanks for the reply High Score.
I'm not stuck as such.The improvisation section has me a little worried if i'm honest.The performance section has bass patterns which i'm fine with in all keys.The improv section in the RGT book has backing music CD provided and you make up a bassline to suit the piece following a given chord chart which can have major,minor,major7,minor7,dominant7 etc chords(you're expected to play root,3rd,5th and 7th where appropriate) but its in one given key.Do they throw you a curve ball for the exam with a different key from the book or do they use the same one ??
Sorry to ramble on but that's the best way i can describe it.
Cheers,
Pete. ;)

Funny that, it was always the ear training part that had me scared sh@%less !!

The test piece you will have to play will be SIMILAR to the ones you are practicing but WILL NOT be the same examples. I don't know if you know it but RGT do extension practice books for both rhythm and improv. I have used them and felt they made a big difference - tended to be harder than the exam !! Check them out.

In the exam and depending on the grade, you will be shown a test piece to play over, you will get a minute or so to decide which key to play it in and whether you will use major / minor / blues etc.

You should note that the RGT exam books usually just reflect examples in ONE key only but in the exam it can be ANY so make sure you practice your shapes over all the relevant key positions for the grade you are doing. You will get marks for using different kneck positions, arpeggio where suitable, riff style, hammer on, timing, dynamics etc - again all depends on the grade you are doing. If you can do them then use them - it all counts.

I know I have gone on a bit but the important thing is to enjoy it. Don't treat it as an exam but a way to measure how well you are doing. The route you are taking will really make a difference to you ;)

Lastly, hope this has helped - let me know how you get on with it - interested.

Edited by High score

• 2 months later...

Hey all,
Well i took the grade 3 RGT exam last week and the marks are in today.
94.6 out of 100 and a distinction.Hehe :rolleyes:
I started at grade 3 to make sure i had a good grounding in the earlier stuff and it was as good a place as any to start i guess.I'd especially like to than Nick Carey,my teacher for all his help,patience and guidance along the way.
Chuffed ta bits and grade 5 next i think. :)

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='464404' date='Apr 16 2009, 09:04 PM']Hey all,
Well i took the grade 3 RGT exam last week and the marks are in today.
94.6 out of 100 and a distinction.Hehe :rolleyes:
I started at grade 3 to make sure i had a good grounding in the earlier stuff and it was as good a place as any to start i guess.I'd especially like to than Nick Carey,my teacher for all his help,patience and guidance along the way.
Chuffed ta bits and grade 5 next i think. :)[/quote]

mucho congrats on getting your grading - I've been wondering how you got on.......

I would suggest you look at Grade 4 even if it is just to study the components first cos there is an almighty jump between 3 and 5

Cheers High score and thanks for the interest.
I think Nick will insist on looking at the grade 4 stuff first.We went thru' all the Prelim,Grd1 +2 before we did the work on Grade 3.He's a stickler for detail. :D

Nice on Sy,
It sure is !! :)

I'm going back to having some fun with my lessons for a wee while now,i've gone from singing in one band to playing bass in two others as well.One, a Soul band,the other Blues so it's brushing up on the skills required for those two.Back to groovy fingerstyle stuff for a while then nose to the grindstone again.
It's all good fun eh ! :rolleyes: