Why become a member? ×

solid state volume/gain problems

Yan

Hello,

I have an Ashown RM420. It's a great amp and I have worked it hard for about 4 years. Recently I have been haveing some proiblems with volume and gain.

to get the sound I like I have the shape button in, boost the low mids to about 3 o'clock small boost to bass and to treble. I use a foot pedal to kick in distortion and some octave. Some gigs I do don't go through a pa so I use two 8 ohm cabs and volume has to be at about 3 Oclock +.I generally keep the gain under control so even during my most enthuiastic playing the VU stays out of the red.

Recently after some time I seem to loose control of the gain, every note i play the VU shoots staright to max and I get a really nasty distorted sound.

Although the amp does not feel hot my gut tells me it is over heating,

Can anybody shed any light on whats going on?

Thanks,

It may be so that the FX loop (send/return) is corroded, so put a short cable there to connect pre and power amps.

If the vol needs to go beyond 12 o'clock, there is not too much power in the amp OR the gain is too low.

Every EQ (B, T, M, shape etc.) is actually part of the gain circuitry. If you boost with EQ, you should lessen the gain. Soundwise it is usually more effective to cut with EQ and boost with gain.

Make trial without any effects: put the amp vol to around 10 o'clock. Set your EQ. Add gain until you get audible distortion. Back up that gain just a bit to remove it. This is the gain level you should use. Do not care about the level meter reading, trust your ears. Usually those meters should reach that red area from time to time with reasonable, undistorted levels.

Edited by itu