Why become a member? ×

High C rattles at bridge

Amy.M

I've just restrung my six string for the first time. However, the string manufacturers obviously intended the C string to be the longest, my tuners are placed such that the C is parallel with the B and therefore closer to the bridge. As a result the string shifts a little bit in the bridge saddle and I believe that's what's causing the buzzing sound. Should I just cut the string shorter than intended? (It's currently about two inches past the tuner). Thanks.

Excuse me, are you talking about bridge or saddle near the tuners? The name of the instrument would help, too.

If I translated your issue by changing these words, I think you should tune your instrument so, that the tuning post has the string going from top to bottom. See the second picture: https://www.studybass.com/gear/bass-strings/how-to-change-bass-guitar-strings/2

See also that picture, where the string end goes inside the tuning post. Just cut the excess of the string by bending it back and forth a few times. Optional cutters need to be very tough (there is a text: piano wire or piano string) https://www.bahco.com/en/p/chrome-plated-end-cutting-pliers-piano-wire/ed-28-3e-01-5b-2c-b7-54-32-2e-c0-48-d4-16-ee-2a/

1) Check if the saddle part lies against the bridge plate i.e. not the height screws.

2) If any single screw is totally loose, the rattle may happen.

3) If the bridge parts are in a big angle (one of those two screws is far lower), the saddle may rock.

4) You should play every note from the neck to find out, if all bridge parts are at the right height.

5) Sometimes (pretty seldom) the rattle comes from the string between your finger and (top) saddle. Put some cloth under the strings in the first position while testing.

If the reason is a loosen screw, you should put a little bit of nail lacquer to the screw thread. Remember to measure the saddle heights first to restore the setup.