Why become a member? ×

Free: Marlin Precision Bass in need of a little TLC
£1

jonsparrow91

(Pictures/video pending, typing this up at work while I have the willpower)

• Bought from some dude in Bristol and amputated all the bits that weren't working, stripped right down to a basic precision bass.
  • Pickup routing for split coil pickup and a double jazz pickup (this wasn;t functioning, I think it had rusted up so I whipped it out).
  • Very nice flat n' wide precision neck, varnished but well used so not sticky. I'd dismantle it and keep the neck if it'd fit on any of my other instruments.
  • Electronics need a lot of TLC. While you can plug and play it the pots and output jack are noticeable loose (and in the wrong places) and a new cover would need to be made if you were to gig it.
  • Supplied without strings as this has been my motowny bass of choice for a while so it has either Thomastik Infeld or Ernie Ball flats on it, either way I'll be keeping them. :P You don't want the funk that's kept in them anyway.
  • I can't overstate how nice this bass is to play but it's been a 'project bass' for about 6 years at this point and I haven't once had the time and drive to do anything with it.

• Collection from Colnbrook (SL3) ideally. I've no amp set up at the moment (nor the room for one, hooray for VST plugins) but you're welcome to test it acoustic like.
  • Can travel into London if fares are covered but it'll be supplied without a gig bag (none spare).
  • No delivery, I'm afraid, as my schedule doesn't allow me to wait in for couriers.

IMG_20180531_203733.jpg

IMG_20180531_203753.jpg

IMG_20180531_203810.jpg

IMG_20180531_203840.jpg

IMG_20180531_203847.jpg

IMG_20180531_203903.jpg

Edited by spaz91
  • Like 2

Hi spaz91,

Kudos for your kind generosity.  My daughter (17) has said she would like it - she'll be doing her grade 7 exam next month, and this could well save her from continuing to borrow my gear.  When would be a good time to collect? (I'm #3 in the waiting list for your fretless - not holding out too much hope, but could be convenient to wait until that has definitely gone)

Big smiles,

Andy.

No problem. Again I'll be waiting til people have seen pictures and videos but consider yourself first in the queue. Do remember though that it is a precision neck so it suits larger hands better and you might want to give the electronics a good do over before putting it in any kind of important situation.

• Thanks 1

Pictures and sound clips uploaded. Please note that it's being played with a really nice set of flats that I'm holding onto, the bass comes without strings or gig bag.

Also, I forgot how seriously hot that pickup is so please excuse the clipping.

• Like 1