Why become a member? ×

Sticky Nitro Neck? There is a Good Fix!

zvirus

Hi Everybody,

Recently got lovely Road Worn Precision 50s - Yes fake road worn but this sound and the neck! (love it`s sound and the neck size and fret-board radius)

After few days of playing  I have found that sanding down the neck finish or using bee`s wax or any other known fix DOES NOT WORK. It`s simple waste of time. Gloss, no gloss neck becomes sticky after few minutes of playing. Not a big deal if You play roots and/or fifths  in key of C I-IV-V but playing bit more from 1st to 21st fret things get STICKY.

Spent quite a lot of time on google and found that the best solution is REMOVE the nitro finish and use OIL. I have Cort Fretless finished in Oil and it NEVER goes sticky plus looks brilliant.

So, sanded down using 120 then 320 grit good quality sanding paper and today put second layer of Danish Oil. I`ll put another one or two every 24h but at this stage neck has SILKY feel already.

Whatever You say Poly finish is great as after sanding it down with 800-1200 grid it`s silky in feel but as mentioned it does not work with Nitro - well, it did not on my neck...

I have used Danish Oil as it has really good properties according to this Guy:

More info soon after I finish my job..

Cheers

Tomas