Why become a member? ×

Slap strings for half bass????

sankazoo

Hi, I am relativley new to bass playing. I have a half double bass which i dont use much anymore, only when travelling. i want to learn to slap and wanted to put slap strings on this bass for practising purposes. I cant find half size slap strings so i was wondering if 3/4 strings would go on it. please be kind and dont call me stupid although it proberbly is a silly question. thanks in advance any help appreciated. :biggrin:

Get some Superior Bassworks or similar - they claim to be suitable for 1/2 size basses, are incredibly easy to slap and you can always just cut the ends off if they're too long to wind in the pegbox. Sorted.  And they're incredibly cheap, which is probably the only time you'll hear that said of anything in this forum 😁

What I should add I suppose is that if you do get more slappable strings (acknowledging you can slap any strings if you're determined enough) the "weedwacker" type ones such as those I suggest above (so named as they're basically like strimmer cable) tend to be fatter, which may mean you need to widen the slots in the bridge and nut accordingly. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious but didn't want you to go down that route then find it was more complicated than you'd thought.