Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Westfield owners??

Skywalker83

Hi All, first post here, just joined.

Im also a member of another bass forum (TalkBass) , and i had asked this question with little success.

Are there any owners (present or past) of a Westfield VBS5a or a VBS4a out there? I would like to hear peoples views on them.

I bought a VBS5a a month back now.

here's a pic...

[attachment=16162:DSCN02692.jpg]

I don't own one, but it was one of the basses on my list of potentials when I was looking to buy. But none turned up during the appropriate time period. My son owns a 1/2 sized Westfield LP guitar, and as far as I can see it seems a competently made instrument. Apart from the horrors I saw when I took the cover off to look at the wiring.

I'd appreciate it if you'd review the instrument. What do you think of it?

Edited by Annoying Twit

I have a Westfield B1000 P in trans blue.. which is a very nice bass for the cash!! Really served me well for my first few years of bass playing. Upgraded rather substantially to a custom Overwater now, but still.. for the cash, all Westfield basses seem quality for the money!! Fit and finish seemed nice on mine.

Mine is for sale by the way! :)

[quote name='Annoying Twit' post='333011' date='Nov 20 2008, 01:53 PM']I don't own one, but it was one of the basses on my list of potentials when I was. But none turned up during the appropriate time period. My son owns a 1/2 sized Westfield LP guitar, and as far as I can see it seems a competently made instrument. Apart from the horrors I saw when I took the cover off to look at the wiring.

I'd appreciate it if you'd review the instrument. What do you think of it?[/quote]

It's really hard to find ANY information about these basses, even on the website there is virtually nothing.

Well its basically a kind of a cheap "thumb copy".
i paid £165 for it off ebay, and in a way i got what i paid for. its not a bad bass but its not really great either, its just kind of OK...

getting it set up the way i like was the hard part, and its still not perfect, and probably will never be.

There is a fair amount of neck dive on it, so i am going to more the rear strap button further down the body.

String spacing is about 16.5mm i reckon, its fine for me.

The major thing is there is a bad string buzz on the G string, around the 5th to 9th frets. i reckon at some point i will need a fret dress.I'm getting by at the moment with just adjust my attack on the string.

Im also going to replace the nut at some point as i think there is a fault with it, (see pic)

[attachment=16163:close_up_copy.jpg]

Neck dive and a dodgy nut - they've copied the Warwick Thumb to a T!!! :)

The only place i've seen that particular model of Westfield is in Cash Converters, where they were selling them new. I'm guessing that Cash Converters bought a big job-lot from the Far East and had sole distribution.