Why become a member? ×

Armstrong and Miller (not the comedy show)

Tvrtastic

I just swapped out the neck pickup on my Sire Marcus Miller V7 with a 1980's Kent Armstrong handwround soap bar pickup that I had in an old bass not worthy of the pickup.

OMG what a sound! Think that many would say that the standard V7 sounds great and Marcus himself reputedly plays an Ash V7 with stock pickups, but my does this pickup sound great in this bass!

Hardly bothered with the preamp since installing pickup as it sounds just so sweet and the tone pot gives me all the variation I need.

Tone and dynamics out of this world. I hoped that it would sound good but it's just turned a great bass into something special. Chuffed to say the least!

Kent is still making handwrounds in America and is on Facebook if you search for him. This is what inspired me to dig out the old pickup.

Tempted to contact him to get a jazz pickup for the bridge but certainly for now the soapbar in the neck is all I need.

Stunned. :-)

Edited by Tvrtastic