Why become a member? ×

Beginners: Teaching yourself to play a Stagg EDB

kembo_dee

Hello,

Got my Stagg EDB and I'm gonna teach myself a bit until I can afford a few lessons. I am aware that I can develop bad habits, but I just want to get going even if it just means playing open strings to get used to left and right thumb placement.

Is there anyone else who hasn't played strings before teaching themselves?

I'm basically gonna find a few bass tunes I like, (Lovecats, Different Corner-George Michael, Adele- Best for Last,check it out it's good!!)
Get the sheet music and find the notes using my chromatic tuner, I can read a G clef, just to need to get used to Bass Clef. and put finger markings on the neck. Obviously I have some double bass books to follow too.

Someone in a music shop told me the dots on the Stagg EDB aren't wrong but link with the frets on an electric bass.

good link here
[url="http://petertambroni.com/mostlybass_wp/?page_id=182"]http://petertambroni.com/mostlybass_wp/?page_id=182[/url]

cheers

Kembo

Edited by kembo_dee

[quote]I'm basically gonna find a few bass tunes I like, (Lovecats, Different Corner-George Michael, Adele- Best for Last,check it out it's good!!) Get the sheet music[/quote]

I did a wee transcription of Lovecats recently, why not grab it and put the money you save towards a lesson? :-)

<link removed>

You've probably heard it before but getting lessons when learning DB is definitely a Good Thing; compared with bass guitar, there is far more potential for doing it wrong, and the path(s) of rightousness are fewer and narrower.

Jennifer

Edited by Rich
Old out-of-date link removed

[quote name='endorka' post='317131' date='Oct 28 2008, 10:21 PM']I did a wee transcription of Lovecats recently, why not grab it and put the money you save towards a lesson? :-)

<link removed>

You've probably heard it before but getting lessons when learning DB is definitely a Good Thing; compared with bass guitar, there is far more potential for doing it wrong, and the path(s) of rightousness are fewer and narrower.

Jennifer[/quote]

Thank you lots of good stuff on your site !!

Edited by Rich
Old out-of-date link removed