Why become a member? ×

Boss CE-2 Chorus (MIJ Black Label)

Johnny Wishbone

Hi all. Time to ask the oracles of Basschat for some help once again.

I'm having a bit of a financial crisis at the minute and BassManKev's post about the rising price of second hand FX got me thinking. I've got four pedals lying around that I no longer use and I can't see myself using in future so I've decided to try and get rid and hopefully make myself some quick cash.

Amongst them is (as the topic title suggests) a Boss CE-2 Chorus which has a black label on the bottom stating that it was made in Japan. I bought it used about ten years ago and it's a bit battered cosmetically (various paint chips and the rubber on the bottom is a bit pitted where it was glued to my pedalboard) but it still works perfectly.

A mate tells me that the Black Label MIJ Boss pedals are worth a few bob these days. Is he pulling my leg, or can I expect it to fetch a a decent price if I sell it?

Your advice is, as always, much appreciated.

Most of the models are worth a little more than Taiwanese ones to people that care, but you're not exactly going to retire on it :). There are a very few (rarities like the SG-1 Slow Gear, SP-1 Spectrum and VB-2 Vibrato) which are worth fairly serious money, but most of the normal Japanese models are worth no more than about 50% more than a similar Taiwanese one in equivalent condition. I may be a little out of touch but I would say no more than about £50 to £60 for a CE-2, and it would have to be in pretty good condition (maybe a bit better than what you're describing) to even be worth that much. They're just not rare enough, or that much better-sounding than the Taiwanese one, for it to be a major factor really.