Why become a member? ×

Replacement pickups...

Denigar

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone can help? I own a very budget Bass Collection, 'Portrait' Jaco fretless bass costing around only £400 that could sound a great deal better.

I was considering buying a pair of Aguila AG 4J-Hot 'J' pickups as well as an Aguila OBP-3 pre-amp to fit therein. I'd use the 3 band EQ facility...

Will that fitting be at all a serious improvement or can't you upgrade a budget bass to those specifications successfully?

It would be great to get some feedback.

Thank you.

Den

If everything else is good and it is only that sound that you feel is inadequate, then yes - a decent set of replacement pickups could be worth it to you. Just don't expect it to add to the value of the bass if you sell it though!

Not sure it's necessary to spend that much though. What are the original pickups? Many people on here have had good results with far cheaper after-market pickups like Entwhistle, GFS, Tonerider, Wilkinson and so on. Even Fenders aren't too bad... Have a look i the Market section on here as there can be some great deals from people who thought that putting a set of expensive pickups in their bass would solve all their problems... :D