Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Music Man Sterling USA Fretless 1993 black
£900

italiancross

- NOW SOLD -

Financial reasons force me to sell two of my basses. One of them is this Music Man Sterling (US made), original unlined fretless, black colour, in near perfect condition.

This is one of the earliest examples of the Sterling bass, introduced by Music Man in 1993 as the top of the range in their production, with an active circuitry, 3-band eq, 3-position coil selector, a smaller and lighter body and thinner neck than the popular Stingray bass. The neck is similar to a Jazz Bass, for anyone wanting a thin and fast neck.
The back of the body has recessed plates (neck plate, battery compartment plate and control cover) to avoid any protruding elements, and the neck joint is contoured to offer a better access to the higher frets.
The headstock is slightly smaller that the standard Stingray one and the bass is perfectly balanced and a pleasure to play.

The Pau Ferro fretboard is in really good condition with very little wear, the body has just a small dent on the longer horn (circled in yellow in one of the pictures below) and some buckle rash on the back, but there is no scratches or missing paint.
The neck is stamped 11-24-93, while a stamp on the body dates it to October 6, 1993. Considering these dates and comparing them with the serials listed on the excellent Musicmanbass.org site, I presume this is one of the very first Fretless Sterling basses ever produced.

The serial number (five digit number starting with 38) is on the bridge, which also contains the string mutes that were removed on later production.
The instrument is entirely original. The black pickguard has been replaced with a similar one having a small thumb rest (mounted from the back of the guard to avoid damages to the body) but I will supply the original one as well.
The maple neck has a nice figured birdseye effect, as visible from the pictures.

The bass is sold with its original G&G dark blue hard case. Currently equipped with new 45-105 roundwound string, it has a medium action.

I'm located in Italy, this is my first sale on Basschat but I can give to anyone interested my nickname on a "popular auction site" where I sold some other instruments in the past and I have an excellent reputation with a 100% percentage and more than 3000 positive feedbacks.

I only accept payment with Bank transfer. I will send with insured courier to European countries, the cost is around £ 35-40.

I'm not interested in trades, thanks

Edited by italiancross