Why become a member? ×

Combo or Head and Cab for ~£300?

MrBump

Hi - I'm thinking of getting something a little better for home and possibly jam/gig use. I don't really have a style in mind, just something loud enough to gig and rehearse with, something with a decent sound.

I was looking at the TC Elecronics BG250 line - from the YouTube clips I've seen they seem like pretty good in terms of bang for your buck.

I'm assuming that these are relatively cheap and light weight, so they'll be compromised in terms of their sound, but I'm not planning to play the Albert Hall any time soon. Just to be able to get a better sound than my Harley Benton practice amp and the option to play with other people if necessary.

Thoughts welcome.

I've got a tc bh250 amp and a tc 1x12 cab, makes an easy carry, easy to use eq and sounds pretty good to my ears... Toneprint compresser patch is handy too.
Got both for about £400 new, I use it for practicing and gigs with my band, 1 cab suits a small pub type venue pretty well, but I DI out for festies and big rooms. I'm sure the combo is much the same amp with different speaker combinations.
We've a bodhran player rather than a drum kit but he's straight through the PA and bangs it like a psycho ;)

Personally, I advocate getting onto separate amp+cabs as soon as possible, because then you start opening up new avenues in terms of modularity and flexibility. That said, it really demands a budget of more than £300, unless you're going for the second-hand market.

The current line of Fender Rumble combos are also fairly well-received, and might be worth considering.

S.P.

Bear in mind that with the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TC Electronics BG250 line only the smallest one (208?) has an external speaker option for an extra cab. That's what stopped me getting one. I ended up with the Fender Rumble 500 and quite happy with it. Also tried the 200 and it sounded similar.[/font][/color]

Edited by CletePurcel