Why become a member? ×

Advice please

crez5150

Hi Guys

Any of you have experience of this make - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Double-Bass-cutaway-version-Natural-Blonde-4-4-new_W0QQitemZ180289877496QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180289877496&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]click here[/url]

Or any advice with regards to quality, playability, construction etc... would be appreciated.... Prices seem very low end.... just wondered if the quality is the same?

many thanks

Jay

It depends on what you wan to do with it. Might be OK for slapping but for anything else it's proably pretty firewood. Sorry....

Like everything else in the world, you get what you pay for. At that price it'll be made of plywood (and probably not even a nice laminate but actual plywood), it won't have a particularly good tone and bits will probably start dropping off it relatively soon. If you're after a cheap acoustic double bass, then you should really be looking at the £1-2K price bracket for something that will actually have been built to sound good. If you've ony got £300 and want to get into DB, then I'd get a Stag EUB - it'll sound better. IMHO of course!

Dave

If you've already played a decent DB then you'll befinitley be disappointed with a £400 plywood box.

I haven't played a Dean Pace but I've heard them at gigs and TBH, they just sound like a fretless bass so I personally don't really se the point of them. What in particular didn't you like about the Stagg? The next step up is the Aria EUB or the NS Wav which, playability wise, aren't much different from the Stagg though they probably sound better . After that it's the Eminence or Yamaha EUBs but you're looking at £1.5K for those. In the same price range you could get one of the Christopher or similar Chinese made carved top DBs from Thomann - they're suposed to be pretty good for the money.