Why become a member? ×

No Power, please help

Leemo

Hi guys, I need some advice please.

I have two Ashdown ABM amps. I mistakenly connected the speaker output socket of one to the other. When I connected my guitar both amps died. The kettle leads are fine & the internal fuses look ok, I have counted seven, but there is no power to the amps.
Have I cooked something, or is there a quick fix?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, Leemo[attachment=209210:Ashdown.jpg]

I take it that you mean that you connected the output of amp A in to output of Amp B, correct?

Bad luck, but I am surprised that a fuse hasn't blown - most likely on the power-amp board.

There are several fuses on the main amp board
also a mains fuse built into the mains input connector on the amp. There is a little drawer containing a fuse that you need to prise out with a screwdriver.
some transformers also have fuses built into them nowadays and these are not servicable.

Always check fuses [b]removed from the circuit board [/b]with a continuity meter. Inspection is not good enough and moreover measuring when fitted to fuse holder can give false success readings because of other parts that are in circuit like transformers and heater filaments ( valve amps only).

[b][color=#ff0000]Never open an amp while it is connected to the mains.[/color][/b]

Good luck with fix. . .

Hi Mike, thanks for your response.

Yes I did connect speaker output from amp A to speaker output of amp B.

I will try & find the little draw you mentioned & put a meter across the fuses, ( I will have to get one first), as i have only inspected them visually.

Many thanks for your advice.

Regards, Matt

Ah Shame. Do you know which bit of the amp smoked?

Quite likely that the power transistors on the power amp are toast. If the board is damaged (charred) then reliable repair isn't achievable. If not then maybe. . . Ashdown do supply parts to techs but I am not sure if they do to general public you need to call them tho as their website is just t shirts and speakers.

I guess it is time to look up your local amp tech.