Why become a member? ×

DI/Stomp pedal into AI ?

Che

I was wondering if its possible to plug a DI/Stomp box direct in to the audio interface? I have no bass amp and play mostly by using headphones (my wife hates me rocking loud and I hate rocking quiet). I was looking at the Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21 as it is in my price range (im broke).

I see it has a SLR (which I assume is for the PA) and it also has an Out jack which I assume is for the amp or maybe in my case the audio interface?

My audio interface is Behringer U-Phoria UM2 and it has a Hi-Z input which works great when going directly in with the instrument but apparently not so good (and I agree) when going in with a Multi FX pedal (like Zoom B1on). I dont know if this would be the same case with the DI box?

My plan is to find the tone/sound on the DI stomp box and then into the AI and into headphones either for recording or just for playing.

Any and all tips welcome!

Guest bassman7755

XLR DI outputs generally are designed to plug into mic level XLR inputs, which is the default input level for most mixer and audio interface XLR inputs. Generally if a audio interface has a single XLR input it will be mic level which I think is the case for your behringer although some interfaces also have line level inputs (either switchable or extra dedicated line level inputs).

So it should in theory "just work". You can also use one of these [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/In-Line-Balanced-Attenuator-Volume-Adapter/dp/B0060GDZTG"]http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0060GDZTG[/url] in the event you have a line level XLR output that you need to plug into a mic level input.

Before you spend any money you could download the free version of line 6 pod farm, this gives you a couple of bass amp/cab models that you can play in real time and works with any ASIO audio interface.

If your using any DAW software (Reaper is a good free one) then there are a ton of free amp/cab/effects VSTs around many of which are pretty decent and you can use these in realtime without too much latency if you tweak your ASIO buffers and other settings appropriately. Might be worth posting in the "recording" forum if you need help with this, there plenty of advice on free DAWs and VSTs there also.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1444467269' post='2883425']

Before you spend any money you could download the free version of line 6 pod farm, this gives you a couple of bass amp/cab models that you can play in real time and works with any ASIO audio interface.

If your using any DAW software (Reaper is a good free one) ...
[/quote]

Hi bassman, I have downloaded the Pod farm but I cant get any sound from it. I have connected my bass via audio interface but no sound from the plugin. It sais that my pod farm is not authorized. Do you know how to authorize this free version? Thanks for all your help!

Guest bassman7755

Hi, cant remember actually, I think there is somewhere to sign up on the site and get a free key. Edit - its possible they have withdrawn the free licence version since I got it.

Edited by bassman7755

Thanks all for replying :) I have found a way (thanks to our forum member Dad) to practice silently and what a great way and free that is ;) I downloaded a few free but great sounding plugins 'Helian 1st Bass' and 'Emissary - Ignite Amps' ! You can hear both in this short tune of mine. The rhythm bass is 'Emissary Amp' and the lead is 'Helian 1st Amp'
https://soundcloud.com/papa-dusko/2-basses-over-midnight