Why become a member? ×

Fclef 4 strings jazz bass (Fodera, Bottom Wave)
£1310

giovabass

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida]Hi guys, I'm selling my amazing Fclef Jazz 4 string since I just got a Fodera 5 with similar specs so I don't play 4 strings anymore and need the cash. Conditions are excellent/very good, there's one small ding on the back of the body (see photos).[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]For you not familiar with these basses, Fclef is a boutique bass maker affiliated with Fodera. [/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Mine is one from the time when these were made in Japan by Bottom Wave (who was building the Fodera [/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida]NYC line as well); I believe today's Fclef basses are made by Rbasses (USA).[/font][/color]

[url="http://www.fclefbasses.com/"]FclefBasses - Fclef Basses, fodera guitars, best bass equipment .[/url]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I had this bass some time ago in trade with the intention to immediately resell it, but when I played it was so good that I kept it and became my main "funk" bass.[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]IMHE does one of the most accurate reproduction of the Marcus tone (check out Tamas Barabas video below) and possibly the lowest action that I've ever had on a bass - definitely on the same level of the Fodera, which build was actually inspired as a "modern" 5-string version of this very bass.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Asking price is [b]1800 EUR[/b] = approx. [b]1250 GBP[/b] as today. [b]No Paypal.[/b][/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida]Bass is actually located in USA. [/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]For Europe/international shipping pls contact me (private message), [u]I often travel back to Europe and could send the bass from there to save on shipping costs for both parties[/u], or either send from USA with international shipping. PM me for details.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Specs:[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]- Swamp ash body with black pickguard[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]- 34" scale maple fingerboard with MOP blocks and binding[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]- nut width 38mm, string spacing @ bridge 19mm[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]- [/font][/color][b]Aero[/b][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,](?)*** JJ single coils in 70' location[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]- Fodera 2-band preamp: VOL/passive tone (working in both active and passive), blend, treble, bass, active/passive switch[/font][/color]
[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]- [/font][/color][b][color=#FF0000]UPDATE[/color][/b][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] weight: around ~ [/font][/color][b][color=#FF0000]3.8 kg[/color][/b][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] on bathroom scale.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]*** not sure but most likely PUPs are Aeros since all Bottom Wave and the NYC Foderas had Aeros, as someone kindly notified me (previously listed as Seymour Duncan JJ).[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Don't hesitate to contact me via private message.[/font][/color]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thanks for looking.[/font][/color]

[attachment=201040:IMG_0038.JPG][attachment=201039:IMG_0039.JPG][attachment=201038:IMG_0046.JPG][attachment=201036:IMG_0043.JPG][attachment=201034:IMG_0042.JPG][attachment=201035:IMG_0041.JPG][attachment=201037:IMG_0044.JPG]

[color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]video... [u]please notice that the bass played by Tamas in this video is possibly my very [b]same bass[/b] or at least of the very [b]same period[/b] (so a Bottom Wave with the very same specs -> Aero single coil pickups, etc.)[/u]: [/font][/color][url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foL6Ieh6jno"]https://www.youtube....h?v=foL6Ieh6jno[/url]

here's a short recording played some time ago by me with the bass (Berklee homework... lol):
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:204041] <-- I have no idea of why the editor changes the name of the file... to hear it please download and manually rename it to filename[b].mp3[/b]

Edited by giovabass

I have it in black, with the same neck like yours, pearl blocks and white binding, ash/maple. '70s Vintage Seymour Duncan single coils, 2-eq Mike Pope preamp with tone control. A '70s Fender clone with a hint of hi-fi added. Just beautiful. GLWTS.

[quote name='Apothem' timestamp='1442857103' post='2870069']
I have it in black, with the same neck like yours, pearl blocks and white binding, ash/maple. '70s Vintage Seymour Duncan single coils, 2-eq Mike Pope preamp with tone control. A '70s Fender clone with a hint of hi-fi added. Just beautiful. GLWTS.
[/quote]

Thanks for the nice comments, the bass is amazing indeed. Updated spec and shipping info in the first post, as PUPs could be Aero instead of Seymour Duncan. In any case, as Apothem said it sounds like a 70' jazz bass on steroids with the added crazy low action that you usually don't get on the Fender vintage basses.

Bass is still available and could be possibly shipped from Italy to save costs for both parties (PM me for details).

• 3 weeks later...

updated info: [color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida]my bass is one from the time when these were made in Japan by Bottom Wave (who was building the Fodera [/font][/color][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida]NYC line as well); I believe today's Fclef basses are made by Rbasses (USA).[/font][/color]

... and bump for the lowest price you can find an exquisite, used Fclef (same bass as Bottom Wave / Fodera NYC).

Edited by giovabass

• 2 weeks later...

added info and sound clip... for those asking, [color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida]the bass played by Tamas in this video is possibly my very [/font][/color][b]same bass[/b][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida] or at least of the very [/font][/color][b]same period[/b][color=#141414][font=verdana, geneva, lucida] (so a Bottom Wave with the very same specs -> Aero single coil pickups, etc.)![/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...