Why become a member? ×

Bass Intonation Issue

sebowden

On 28/11/2019 at 02:11, Jeff79 said:

Just got a new special edition mustang bass. I have innotated many basses, never had a problem til now. My problem is exactly like the one on here. Innotation is all over the place. I innotated the e string yesterday and is off today. Looked on fender website. I think they are using long scale strings on these. Fender 7250m i think it said. I ordered some chrome short scale flatwounds today. I am glad to see it might work. Tuning machines are too touchy also. I might try to find a replacement for them. I love the looks of the all black special edition mustang.  I would feel better if it would innotate right. Thanks for the answer to my question. 

While there may be some here that would argue for strings being fit for purpose (ie short scale ones for short scale basses, long scale for longer scale basses), honestly it makes no difference at all whether you're using long scale strings on a short scale bass; the only issue you may have is whether the machine head post is able to comfortably accept an untapered string that's just been cut to length.