Why become a member? ×

re-learn slap technique

Bay Splayer

recently suffered a wrist ligament injury, not bass related, and as a result found i couldn`t slap as cleanly as before :)

basically, although my wrist has healed, my thumb doesnt bend away from my palm at the same angle it used to :huh:

whilst noodling i found myself hitting the string with the fleshy pad at the end of my thumb, as opposed to bony bit at the thumb joint

anyone else play this way or have i invented a new (cack-handed as my dad used to call me) technique :huh:

i think that using the fleshy bit at the tip of your thumb (if you look at your thumbnail as a clock, the bit at 10/11 oclock) to slap is how they recommend you do the double thumb type way...i can't get on with it but unfortunately it's not a new method (if I'm understanding you right!), sorry!

Good luck, if you get on with it you might get some heft chops with your new way!

From what I've read, as with any technique, there's no right or wrong way to do it and you can bet that as weird as you think your technique is, someone's already done it.

Anyone seen former Bassist magazine contributor, Terry Gregory's left-handed upside-down slap technique. Truly a sight to behold - and sounds just like 'right-way up' slapping.

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='275230' date='Sep 2 2008, 10:18 AM']i think that using the fleshy bit at the tip of your thumb (if you look at your thumbnail as a clock, the bit at [u]10/11 oclock[/u]) to slap is how they recommend you do the double thumb type way...i can't get on with it but [b]unfortunately it's not a new [/b][b]method [/b](if I'm understanding you right!), sorry!

Good luck, if you get on with it you might get some heft chops with your new way![/quote]

[b]yeah i know really, sort of meant it tongue in cheek[/b] :)

[u]thats how i slap now, was slapping at 9 o clock[/u]

as for the new chops, i doubt it :huh: