Why become a member? ×

NPD - Tech21 sansamp Para driver

LewisK1975

Got the above yesterday - basically the pedal version of the RPM rackmount unit.

Put at the end of my chain after TU3 - EBS Billy sheehan - MXR M87 comp.

Wanted a good preamp pedal after suffering with a lack of top end from a PUMA 500 into Barefaced super compacts.

Basically the EQ frequencies on the PUMA aren't well suited to the BF SC's which, lacking tweeters, top out at 4khz.

Tried a Behringer BDI-21 which I had lying around and got pleasing results, but being a brand snob when it comes to gear, I wanted a sansamp - did some research (on here mainly, and youtube) and decided on the Para driver as opposed to the standard bass drived to get some more control over the mids (the para has a frequency selectable mid control).

Put together at home last night and very happy with the results.

Set the sansamp with treble at 3pm, mid frequency at about 2.5khz, mid level at about 1:30pm, bass 12:00, drive at 11:00, blend set fully to the pedal (full CW), overall level to match volume without pedal engaged.

Really brought out the top end like I'd hoped. Worth noting that it when switched on, it dramatically changes the sound of the EBS sheehan distortion channel. Had to tweak that a little!

Looking forward to gig volume on the weekend now!