Why become a member? ×

Boss CS3 modded with Monte Allum's Opto Mod kit

Born 2B Mild

I bought this recently from the very helpful Clauster, in a bit of a panic before using my new rig live. It turns out I didn't need it, and it has not left the house.

It comes with the chip and board to upgrade the pedal to full opto plus (even less noise,) mode, but clauster said "there's so low a noise floor as is (certainly none evident through my live rig), I didn't see the point".

He also said "It's loads better than than the original CS3. The standard cs3 is £39. For that you get a pedal that sucks the bass form your tone, injects lots of hiss and does little else. This one has been upgraded with the Monte Allums kit. Great tone, virtually no noise and lots of compression on tap. To get better I'd say you need to be looking at Demeter or Barge Cocepts pedals. Pedal and kit cost me about £60 and there's a fair few hours of work in there too"

I'll post it for £50.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='271082' date='Aug 27 2008, 03:25 PM']Can you completely remove the attack from the audio signal with no unwanted strange artifacts or noises? So to speak, can you make it work as a brickwall limiter?[/quote]
My lack of familiarity with this pedal prevents me from giving a decent reply without plugging it in first. I will find some time over the weekend and try it out and let you know.

[quote name='Fraktal' post='271082' date='Aug 27 2008, 03:25 PM']Can you completely remove the attack from the audio signal with no unwanted strange artifacts or noises? So to speak, can you make it work as a brickwall limiter?[/quote]
The short answer is yes, that appears to be the case. Interestingly (and don't forget I'm a newbie when it comes to compressors) the control that makes the most difference is the Sustain one. When that's off, it takes on more of a Limiter role.