Why become a member? ×

MXR Compressor question...

RnRDave

I will try and keep this as short and to th point as possible...

I had my pedal board stolen about 2 months ago, which was a total sh*tt*r. I've since rebuit a board with some 'upgrades'.

On my old board I had a digitech bass squeeze, I really liked this pedal. It kinda gave me a nice rounded dirty grindy sound when I played with a pick.

I've since bought the MXR compression on a Recomendation and am really struggling getting the right settings for it, where am I going wrong?

I play generally rock style music pretty much with a pick all the time.

Cheers

When say you're struggling to get the "right" settings what is happening that is undesirable?

I found when I used one before it worked well when everything was set just right but the input and output controls offered too much range so the balance between too little and too much volume was hard to get right on the fly.

Edited by BigBassBob

Also my condolences for your loss. Having gear stolen is one of my greatest fears.

Re-reading your post it may be that the MXR is too tonally transparent for what you're after. It doesn't add any real spice or flavour, it just controls the envelope of your signal.

Check out http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml - it's full of brilliant reviews and may point you towards a compressor that may be more suited for your tastes.

I think I need to have a bit more of a play around with the pedal in rehearsal. The digitech really used to add a nice spice to my sound along with my sansamp but I understand that it's not very widely regarded as a good compressor. That's why I thought I'd give the MXR a whirl.

I'm aiming for a kind of 'ampeg' kinda tone, with a bit more of a punch. I've set the compressor ratio to 4:1 and have the attack and release set to around 10 I clock and input at 10 and output at 2pm. From my understanding this should make for a tight fast compression?

Yeah gear being stolen sucks, certainly learnt my lesson anyway by not having insurance.