Why become a member? ×

Successful pickup upgrade on Ibanez GSR200

Manwithvan

This topic doesn't seem to be covered on Basschat, but when wondering whether it was worth the effort most web advice (Talkbass) was 'don't bother'. The Gio series is seen to have various problems, bad necks and tuners etc. I've had mine for ten years and the neck is true, it stays in tune, the body wood seems solid and the knobs work, (after a fashion).
I also have a Fender Jazz, and a Tanglewater, but the GSR is my noodle instrument, easier to play, lighter, and even has the lowest action!
If you know the guitar is sound, it's well worth doing. I spent about £30 on a Wilkinson P typeand a Fender Jazz for the bridge (both used or nearly new), and its a different instrument. I no longer need the PHAT nonsense. I tested the resistance of the old pickups out of interest: 2.5 and 4.5 kOhms!
Ok it's not fantastic, and lacks the character of my other basses, but I'd take it to any jam session, or gig where the bottles might start flying.