Why become a member? ×

Ashdown MAG-300 Evo II sound problems

ColinB

I throw myself at the mercy of the amp tech gurus who frequent this esteemed establishment.

I have an Ashdown MAG-300 head which is 7 years old, and so out of warrenty, and it has lately developed a strange 'fast ticking' noise. I've swapped amp and cab around in all combinations and the noise follows the amp around. I've engaged and disengaged all the buttons and even used the effects loop to send a signal to a different power amp, and to return a signal from a different pre-amp, but the ticking is still there. I'm mightily confused

The sound is a bit like the fan ticking against it's cage, except the noise only occurs while the note is sounding, and the speed of the ticking follows the frequency of the note. I also dropped the chassis out and hoovered out the fluff and disconnected the fan - just in case! If I turn the amp up then the ticking doesn't get any louder, but playing quietly in the 'music room' (as we refer to the spare bedroom) it's plainly obvious and I believe it's getting worse.

It isn't noticable at stage volumes (yet?), but I'm worried in case it's indicative of an imminent failure, and it's getting to be all I hear while I practice!!

If anyone has any ideas then I'd be very grateful. I'm happy replacing componants - I've built and repaired valve amps and various pedals - if it's an obvious repair.

If not, then I suppose I either return it to Ashdown for them to fix (if they do out of warrent repairs) or take it to a local repair shop. I'm near Aylesbury, Bucks if anyone knows or can recommend one.

......or is this time to convince MrsB that it's time for a nice, new micro head. Can't gig with unreliable stuff..... need a back-up etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice/sympathy/cups of tea offered.

Col