Why become a member? ×

Ampeg V4BH

Pow_22

Got an incoming new toy thanks to Beedster of this parish in the form of an Ampeg V4BH and have been doing some reading up.

The internet seems to conflict several times regarding the pre-amp valves in this thing. The power valves are 4 x 6L6, 1 x ECC82 & 1 x ECC83 and is clearly marked on the amps rear panel like its big brother the SVT that i have. However, the pre-amp is noted is some places as 2 x ECC83 (again like the SVT) but other state its 1 x ECC83 and 1 x ECC82.

Any other V4BH users throw any light on this at all? Im guessing the ECC82 & ECC83 combination would give slightly cleaner headroom but what are these amps supposed to have in the pre?

Sounds like some are attributing the Driver valves to the Power section and others to the preamp section. Regardless its all the same in the end. I've always regarded the "Driver valves as oart of the preamp, so I'd read it as Preamp: 3 x ECC83's, 1 x ECC82. Power amp: 4 x 6L6GC.

Ampeg V4b:
Preamp: Tube (2 x 12AX7/ECC83)
Driver Tubes: (1 x 12AX7/ECC83, 1 x 12AU7/ECC82)
Power Amp: (4 x 6L6GC)