Why become a member? ×

Jamming

SaxyBassist

I must admit I prefer what Doddy says with a more seat of the pants actual jam compared to the 'showcase' style jam, usually the same little groups doing the same 3 songs each week but imo unless its an audience of players rather than punters then the freestyle thing wont go down as well as some familiar songs, that said what I like is a known song to give everyone a starting point but totally reworked on the spot, a reggae version of a punk song, a punk version of a ballad, a blues version of a rock n roll classic etc :)

I'm fine on bass if it's a blues - in the 2 jams I've been to I did Pride and Joy, Red House, Hoochie Coochie Man, Tush, and the ones I have been playing at home were Sunshine of your love and White Room................ on Sax I'll tackle just about anything :lol:[size=4] [/size]

Went to another jam got completely thrown in at the deep end and busked Run to You (was very Les Dawson lol!) but it didn't bother me at all because most people there know I'm a Saxophonist :lol:[size=4] [/size][size=4]) and then Sex on Fire which went a bit better, - never played either before! [/size] :o[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]I got asked up for another 2 - All Along the Watchtower, and a funky version of Rock me Baby they both went much better, feel I'm beginning to find my feet now! :D [/size]

I go to Blues Jams around Essex...the term 'jam' does seem to be used differently here by different people.
The Blues 'Jam nights' that have survived in Essex that I have been to, tend to put random bands together, but the bands usually play reasonably well known blues songs. The thrill is, playing with a new musicians with no rehearsal time, and responding to each other, especially when half the band rarely have heard the song being played. I love it, especially when the song just flies.
I've been going for about three years to these and it has made me a much better live musician. I have had to try and lock in with a huge variety of different drummers.

Now, another jam I go to is more an open mic night, where there are a mix of individual singer songwriters and other musicians. It's also fun, but a different vibe.

Saxybassist: I go to the Hot Hob Jam and 'Blues at the Nags' mainly. Both really well run Jams in Essex.

[quote name='Phantomnin' timestamp='1408637383' post='2532120']
I go to Blues Jams around Essex...the term 'jam' does seem to be used differently here by different people.
The Blues 'Jam nights' that have survived in Essex that I have been to, tend to put random bands together, but the bands usually play reasonably well known blues songs. The thrill is, playing with a new musicians with no rehearsal time, and responding to each other, especially when half the band rarely have heard the song being played. I love it, especially when the song just flies.
I've been going for about three years to these and it has made me a much better live musician. I have had to try and lock in with a huge variety of different drummers.

Now, another jam I go to is more an open mic night, where there are a mix of individual singer songwriters and other musicians. It's also fun, but a different vibe.

Saxybassist: I go to the Hot Hob Jam and 'Blues at the Nags' mainly. Both really well run Jams in Essex.
[/quote]

Small world! I've been to the Hot Hob with my Sax a few times, and I'm off to the Nags Head tonight!
The one I went to on Monday was Bowers :)[size=4] [/size]