Why become a member? ×

NBD - and a question

muttley

Just got my grubby mits on a bargainicious s/h Ibanex SR300. My question is what does the "Style Sweeper" control actually do? In the "slap" position it obviously boosts bass and scoops mids but what about the other end of the range (labelled "finger style"). It sounds quite "middy" in this position so I'm guessing there may be some midrange boost but what is slightly confusing is that there is no centre detent position to this control. Therefore, either: 1. the "finger style" position is flat and the bass sounds very middy anyway, 2. my SS control is broken in some way or 3. Ibanez did not see fit to include a centre detent. Any ideas?

I had one of these, and sounds the same as mine, the slap position sounds very scooped, and , to me, the other direction was all mid and nothing else, there was a sweet spot in the middle if you also boosted the bass a bit, but I did find it a bit of a chore, think it was aimed at getting the Korn like sound when scooped? And slapped , obviously. They now seem to have a more regular bass,mid, treble three band. Shame cos it felt great to play.

Eventually found this curve linked from an old listing (I've copied it to a Photobucket account in case it disappears altogether):

[url="http://s522.photobucket.com/user/echobeach66/media/STYLESWEEPSR_zps69bea331.jpg.html"][/url]

It seems that in the extreme "finger style" position there is treble cut as well as some (around 6dB) midrange boost (purple curve). I wonder if the preamp can produce [i]any[/i] kind of flat response :unsure:.