Why become a member? ×

Bridge Cover Problem Modern Player Jazz

Hi.

I just got some pick up and bridge covers for my new modern player jazz bass and have encountered a problem. I had seen a picture of one of these basses with them on, so thought mine would fit. However, it must have been on the older model, as the 2013 model comes with a big high mass bridge, causing the top bit of the bridge humbucker to stick out of the cover.

Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this? I was thinking of moving the bridge sadddle up a bit, would that cause any problems playing my bass? Or if that isn't an option, getting a smaller bridge. If this is the best way to go, does anyone know any reliable but not really expensive 5 screw bridges?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Edited by mr eliminator

Assuming the bass is correctly intonated then the saddles have to stay where they are in relation to the speaking length of the string. You'll only be able to move the bridge forward a little to take up any slack in the intonation adjustment screws. Probably a better move would be to find a smaller bridge, like the original Fender 'bent bit of tin' bridge which will likely take up less room (but obviously the saddles are going to remain in pretty much the same place as they are now on the existing bridge).

Thanks for the reply, yeah have been thinking about it and I might be able to trade with someone else who has the classic vibe squier bass. It was too expensive to get a new reliable bridge considering I only want them on because I think they look cool.

If someone replaced their smaller bridge with my one, would they need to do much to their bass to have it like it was? Just adjust intonation a bit? or is it more complex then it seems?

Depends how thick the baseplate of the high mass bridge is, sometimes you can have the saddles all the way down with no travel left in the height adjustment screws and not be able to get the action low enough so you'd have to shim the neck to raise it; some high mass bridges are set into a slight rebate in the body. It all depends on the bridge in question.

Edited by HowieBass