Why become a member? ×

Active/Passive Volume Pot Issues- Lakland 44-01

olliedf89

I seem to be having volume and sound issues from my Lakland 44-01. I noticed last week at rehearsal that my volume pot was no longer a gradual off > on it was simply either off or on. I'm getting full volume at 100% and suddenly no volume at about 90%. This volume knob is also a push/pull switch to toggle the active/passive modes.

I bought the bass on here back in January and I mentioned to the chap at the time that this knob seemed 'loose' as it wobbles a bit and certainly isn't solid, but he said he'd had no problems as he rarely used it.. (?)

I have opened up and removed the pot (just unscrewed, not de soldered) and cleaned it with electrical contact fluid as well and tried all the usual things to tighten it up, including the knob itself, but with no luck.

It had worked fine until last week's rehearsal and I noticed that not only was I turning up my amp about 25% more than usual, but it seemed to affect my tone for some reason. I'm guessing the volume issue was causing my pedal chain to react differently to usual, particularly the compressor and the tone hammer didn't seem to be enjoying it.

The only improvements I had were to bypass my pedals for a fair improvement or switch to passive for a much better performance.

I realise that my volume pot probably needs replacing, but does it sound like the sole problem here?

I haven't ruled out the idea that I'm completely wrong or that I may have more than one problem here, but this seems to be the most likely. I realise I'm a tad bonkers.

I've done all the usual things, cables, batteries, most other variables etc. I need ideas as I have a gig coming up and don't have much time to play with my full set up before hand!

Thanks for any and all advice!

A quick way to establish if its the volume control is to simply bypass it. remove the two wires (on lugs 1 and 2) and twist them together. Your bass should be at full volume. If it is not, then the problem is elsewhere. If it is, you know [url="http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/pot-push-pull-500k-wdpdt-switch-2461-p.asp"]what to do[/url]...

That seems to have done the trick, thanks Brensabre.

I've left the volume pot bypassed for the time being until my new Pot arrives. Can't seem to find a pot the same as the original anywhere, but I guess as long as the taper is the same size, there'll be no problem.

Thanks again.

Oh yeah I see your original pot has a plastic shaft rather than split shaft. So I'm guessing the knobs are the type with a screw in rather than push fit right?

Usually this will be fine, I would try to make sure the end of the screw hits the split instead of one side. It's easy to crush the shaft by overtightening the screw otherwise. in some cases this can lead to one side breaking off. If you aim for the split it will tend to force the two sides outwards a little but this will be stopped by the inside of the knob and make it a tight fit.