Why become a member? ×

Tonight @ The Soundhouse, Colchester - Friday Night Blues Jam

Lee Carter

[quote name='Lee Carter' timestamp='1393605872' post='2382536']
Ahh Different Soundhouse, this one is attached to The Bull. The Twist has now been turned into offices...many tried to keep it going and many failed.
[/quote]

Ah I see... didn't the place next to the bull used to be a chinese takeout?

Fond memories of the Twist in the 90's when Kev had it, I used to play there as a teenager and every penny of the money from the door went to the bands. No selling tickets nonsense, straight up fair deal.

Hope your jam went well Friday :)

It still is, the Soundhouse was the old stable block on the back of The Bull. It was converted into a venue about 3 years ago. Good set-up there now, covers bands in the main bar for the Friday/Saturday night party crowd and then the more isoteric stuff in The Soundhouse.

Yep, The Twist used to be a great venue, even better when the bar was in the middle of the pub :-) never got used to singing round a bloody great pole though!

The Jam went fantastically well thanks, we have some great blues players in the area and I'm blessed to have them come and play at my little Jam. I'll post some vids of the night up once I have them.

[quote name='Lee Carter' timestamp='1393838800' post='2384745']
It still is, the Soundhouse was the old stable block on the back of The Bull. It was converted into a venue about 3 years ago. Good set-up there now, covers bands in the main bar for the Friday/Saturday night party crowd and then the more isoteric stuff in The Soundhouse.

Yep, The Twist used to be a great venue, even better when the bar was in the middle of the pub :-) never got used to singing round a bloody great pole though!

The Jam went fantastically well thanks, we have some great blues players in the area and I'm blessed to have them come and play at my little Jam. I'll post some vids of the night up once I have them.
[/quote]

I don't remember it with the bar in the middle when was that?... It was always on the left looking out from the stage when I played there, guess the first time must have been 95/96. Used to be so easy to get a gig at the Twist as a new band, then move on to the Arts Centre once you had a bit of a following. Good music scene in Colchester back when I lived there.

Glad the Jam went well, I'm occasionally back around that neck of the woods visiting family etc, I'll drop by the Bull next time :)

Edited by CamdenRob

That was way back when I was first drinking, so 90/91 I suppose. Used to be called the Oliver Twist and was owned by the same guy that owned Molly Malones. Kev bought it and ripped out the 'old' pub feel and turned it into the Twist Venue. First gig I ever played was there when I was 14...many years ago.

[quote name='Lee Carter' timestamp='1393840777' post='2384781']
That was way back when I was first drinking, so 90/91 I suppose. Used to be called the Oliver Twist and was owned by the same guy that owned Molly Malones. Kev bought it and ripped out the 'old' pub feel and turned it into the Twist Venue. First gig I ever played was there when I was 14...many years ago.
[/quote]

Molly Malones.... That was another one. Wasn't the basement a seperate venue? Fagin's Den or something it was called (would tie in with the Oliver Twist thing I guess)... the ceiling was about 5 foot 6 :blink:

I was 14 as well when we first played there. Thing about the Twist was that it had a decent sound and a base crowd that were there regardless of the bands... When the guy took it over and called it the soundhouse (Neil?) was about when the new licencing laws came in... the death knell was opening till 2am on week nights and still only having three bands... Sending the headline band on at 1am on a Tuesday was never going to be a sustainable plan. Shame, I had some great times there.

Edited by CamdenRob